Questions to ask yourself.
- Is it important to me to have a permanent breast shape? Prosthesis is also an option to consider.
- Is it important to me that my breasts look balanced?
- Breast reconstruction might involve several surgeries over a long period of time. Am I ready for it?
- How will I feel in front of the mirror every day with or without breast reconstruction?
- How will I feel with my partner with or without breast reconstruction?
- How will my activities, such as exercise, impact my choice of breast reconstruction?
- How important are my breasts to my sense of femininity?
Questions to ask your doctor.
- Is it necessary for me to have a breast reconstruction procedure?
- Am I a good candidate for this procedure?
- What kind of surgery will be optimal for me?
- How long will the process take? How long will recovery at home take and what kind of help will I need?
- Do I have to take any special precautions pre and post procedure?
- Are there any side effects to it and will these be short or long term?
- Do I have to wear any special kind of clothing after the procedure?
- I have a medical condition. Will it affect my ability to heal after surgery?